Vision: « A society guided by human and Christian values ».
Mission: to evangelize, to teach and to educate
Overall Objective: To fight poverty, establish social justice and promote the dignity of human person through improved access to integral education founded on Christian understanding of the world.
Strategies and Activities
|To ensure an education to human and Christian values||– To provide the young attending school with psychosocial competences
– To mobilize the young attending school to the assimilation of Christian values
|To strengthen the structures of the Catholic Church with regard to education||– To promote the organizational development of the structures of the Church in education
– Institutional support of the educational structures of the Catholic Church
|To improve the infrastructures of the Church in education domain||– To renovate the infrastructures of the Church education sphere
– To build new infrastructures proper to the needs of the Church in the field of education
|To assure the Education for all policy and strengthen academic quality and profile at all levels of the Catholic Church||– To promote inclusive education
– To create a monitoring and evaluation program of education quality
– To enrich national curricula in respect of all aspects of an integral education
– To strengthen technical skills of teachers
|To eradicate negative impacts of education||– To make policies which protect the young attending schools and future students
– To sensitize parents to their importance and active role in education
|To support economic skills of educational institutions||– To promote economic self-reliance of the catholic institutions of education
– To provide the institutions of education with support in terms of economic resources management
– To promote activities that generate more incomes not only for raising schools’ funds but also as a pedagogic value
|To multiply the fields of education||– Support to informal education
– To promote operational literacy activities
– To create clubs that promote self-education and dialogue between parents and children
|To look after partnership in education||– To reinforce the capacities of the Catholic Church of defending and monitoring with regard to the education sector policies
– To create a consultation framework of internal and external agents in education field.
Fields of implementation of our mission
1. Formal education
The school is the most fertile place for formal education. The Catholic School endeavors to “develop persons who are responsible and inner-directed, capable of choosing freely in conformity with their conscience” . It therefore aims at providing the human person with all human values, according to her/his ultimate end and for the good of his/her society. Categories and types of the Catholic School Two types of the Catholic School:
– Private catholic schools:
There are in this category, private schools which belong to dioceses and religious congregations
– Catholic schools attached to the Government
This category is made of those schools created by either dioceses or religious congregation but managed according to the convention between the Government and the Catholic Church; schools created by the Government but left to dioceses or religious congregations but managed according to the convention between the Government and the Catholic Church; and public schools entrusted to dioceses or religious congregation for the management. In Rwanda, throughout the whole national territory, the Catholic School – in both of the above categories – is represented as follow: 63% for nursery schools, 43% for primary schools, 40% for high schools, 30% for vocational training centres and 21% for higher institutions.
2. Informal education
Besides the School, our mission is as well accomplished in the society thanks to a mobilizing community and familial system for the good of the children and the young in general. In fact, the informal education provides children with other competences that they can get in the context of formal education. The informal education is mainly strengthened by catholic action movements within and out of schools, the promotion of sport and culture associations, Bible reading and praying clubs and other similar initiatives.
– To create a permanent organ that plans the interventions of the Catholic Church in matters of education. Thus, the SNEC will be endowed with a five-year strategic plan.
– To strengthen our intervention in education to citizenship and human, social and Christian values
– To strengthen pre-primary education in all decentralized governing bodies of the Catholic Church.
– To support the professional and technical education at all levels
– To empower the teaching personnel
– To establish a supporting system that assists poor and underprivileged children.